Helping Your Child at Home
It is important that children understand that maths is part of everyday life, and not just something that applies within a maths lesson. Although every effort is made to place children's learning within a wider context, it helps hugely if a child is having regular mathematical conversations at home. Great areas for discussion include:
- Money - Shopping and questions about price, more or less expensive, and change.
- Time - Conversations about how long it takes to get somewhere, times on both analogue and digital clocks, and using calendars.
- Measures - Your child could help with cooking or baking? It involves a huge amount of reading scales, measuring, calculating and estimating. Do they have an idea of what basic measures look like? (A litre of milk, and apple weighs around 100g etc)
- Shape and Direction - Making the language of shape a part of everyday life is a great help as the very specific nature of mathematical vocabulary can be a stumbling block for some children. It's also hugely helpful for children to be familiar with solving shape problems(such as jigsaws) and creating 3D models.
There is a lot of specific vocabulary associated with mathematics and the National Strategies have produced a useful document that indicates the language a child should become familiar with and comfortable using in each year. This is attached below.
Helping Your Child in KS2
Attached are a variety of National Strategies documents that are aimed at the parents of Year 5 and 6 children, although they can be helpful to parents throughout KS2.
- Help for Parents Bar Charts and Tables Help for Parents Bar Charts and Tables pdf
- Help for Parents Decimals Help for Parents Decimals pdf
- Help for Parents Fractions Help for Parents Fractions pdf
- Help for Parents Line Graphs Help for Parents Line Graphs pdf
- Help for Parents Measures and Scales Help for Parents Measures and Scales pdf
- Help for Parents Number Facts Help for Parents Number Facts pdf
- Help for Parents Ratio and Scaling Help for Parents Ratio and Scaling pdf
- Help for Parents Shapes Help for Parents Shapes pdf
- Help for Parents Time Help for Parents Time pdf
- Help for Parents Timetables and 24 hr Clock Help for Parents Timetables and 24 hr Clock pdf
- Help for Parents Using a Calculator Help for Parents Using a Calculator pdf
- Help for Parents Using a Protractor Help for Parents Using a Protractor pdf
- Mathematical Vocabulary Mathematical Vocabulary pdf